Friday, January 14, 2011

arming Kapitein Knoest

The arms of a LEGO minifig are pretty difficult to model, because of all the curved surfaces that need to be joined together at different angles and the connection to the torso...

I always like to break more complex shapes down into primitives (especially when I'm going to make a paper model out of it ;o) and then edit those into the more exact shapes of the arms.

That way, you can see how all the different curves interconnect, making it easier to "see" how you can make them into one, smooth arm-shape.

But still, this is going to be a difficult piece to model, so I'll probably need a few tries before I get an arm that is satisfactory... ;o)

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. ready work is well advanced. Hard work is the design of the arms.

    Almost finish the minifig.

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree the arms are one of the most difficult parts to model even though they don't look that difficult at first glance...

    The epaulettes and bicorne hat will be a little bit difficult too I think, but the hands and head will be a little bit easier again. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! This will be amazing once you finish it:) Sounds like a fun build

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so! I think some parts will be a bit difficult to build, so I don't want to make them too small, but it will be fun to put it together like a real LEGO minifig, yeah...

    And in the future, I can make different torsos and heads and create an entire army of maxifigs, mwuahaha!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete