Saturday, September 5, 2009

Legs like a stickman...

Although the 3D models for these dolls are already a lot less complex than the main character of course, I still like to simplify them a bit further to (hopefully ;o) make them even more fun to build. That's just personal preference I guess.

And then there are the things that I think will really make it a better construction, I think. It's probably immediately apparant on this particular doll, that its arms, legs and tail look pretty fragile.

But because of the way the doll is built (the legs are basically pieces of strings between the body and the paws, and don't really "grow" out of the body and paws) I think it would look pretty good if you'd emphasize that and use it to your advantage.

By making a hole in the paws and body, you can push the "legs" into the paws and probably get a stronger joint as well, instead of just glueing them on top of the paws with the little surface/contact area there is, or using "hard-to-reach-inside" valley folds.

With good glue and some patience, the other methods would probably work as well, but it's something I'd like to try out and like I said, this one is perfect for it. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. will this be a smooth model or folded model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this will be a hybrid; the body could work as a smooth model, but the folds for the feet and hands are much too sharp to just "curve" them I think.

    When I test build it, I will see whether the "hybrid" version looks okay, or that the difference between the curved and folded parts is too big...

    ReplyDelete