Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Knoest test build #4

Here's another very freaky picture of Kapitein Knoest...! :o)

Not so much because he is missing an arm, but the face texture ended up too small after all the editing and saving I did on it. It's an easy fix, though, so the final Knoest won't look so... freakish.

The epaulettes (those ornamental shoulder pads) look intimidating to build, but with the proper folding and pre-shaping they went together very easily!

The rings on top are about 3 millimeters thick, which is a lot bigger than the parts on some of my other models. ;o)

More about the head: old LEGO minifig heads used to have closed studs on top, but I thought the more modern, open stud style would look better on a big-scale paper model.

The open studs have kind of a three-piece open "pie-shape" on the inside, and although it's not impossible to re-create that too in paper of course, it was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

So I think I will still make an open stud, but not the open pie-shape. Luckily, that's only a small change on the 3D model again! ;o)

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Looking great. Was thinking you could make a stand for him of a Lego piece if you wanted. Those flat Lego pieces. Would be extra work thats not really needed but just an idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very good. I like the head internal support ;)
    You are a master.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thank you, but I don't know if I will make the final version of the head that way... ;o)

    Compared to the other parts so far, it's quite difficult to get it to look good, because there are so many extra parts in such a small space just to make it...

    I don't think I will make a stand for Kapitein Knoest right now, since a minifig with all its parts is one whole/complete, seperate LEGO item by itself of course, but maybe for future minifigs, I will make a papercraft LEGO chair or something like that. ;o)

    ReplyDelete