Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Papercraft "butt joint" (don't laugh!) tutorial


While I was contemplating ideas for my new Ganondorf project, I decided to make this small video tutorial about "butt joints" (don't laugh).

"Butt jointing" is again a very simple (and time consuming) technique for glueing together the parts of a papercraft model.

Normally, you use glue tabs to glue one piece on top of the other, and you will get a ridge because of the thickness of the paper (these ridges are also the cause of the white lines I told you about in my edge coloring tutorial).

With butt joints, the parts themselves don't have glue tabs, but instead, a seperate strip of paper that you glue underneath the parts acts as a seperate glue tab. That way, you can "butt" the edges together. And because there is no overlap, the seam will be flat and you won't get a ridge.

This technique is most often used on airplane fuselages, or space rockets, or submarines, with larger, tube-like parts. I don't think I'll be using it on my new Ganondorf model, though... ;o)

(if you can't understand the computer voice in the video, you can download the script I used here)

1 comment:

  1. "Don't laugh" he says. Now that's funny! j/k ;D

    ReplyDelete